Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve

I cannot believe that it is Christmas already. It seems like last week I was kissing my wifey at midnight on New Years Eve, and yet, it's been a whole year. It hasn't been a very good year, but there were some great things about it, which is what this entry is going to be about. Focusing on the good things and hopefully welcoming more good things with the coming year.

The greatest thing that has happened for me this year, was the start up of my home business. It isn't a huge thing yet with tons of orders, but I am so pleased to have one at all. When I first got interested in crochet, it was mainly just to have something to do. At the time I worked only 3 days a week, but the wifey worked a lot more, and we rarely had a day off together. It was a way to fill time while she was at work and I was home alone and bored. So with the help of a few youtube videos, I learned basic stitches and felt very accomplished. Then my friend told me I was the Godmother of her beautiful daughter, Megyn, and I wanted to make her a million things, so I sat down and started creating patterns, finding patterns, and buying patterns of things to make for her. Once I got the hang of it, I started making things for other friends, for my mother, for Leigh's mother, and it slowly grew into a tiny home business, mainly just for family/friends. It then turned into a local business, friends of friends, and eventually I set up my own website and have been sending things across the country, and even to other countries! The main reason why I believe this was the best thing to happen to me this year is because it gave me something I could be great at. Not just something to do in my spare time, not just something to have a gift for baby showers, but something I enjoyed doing that would not only help us out financially, but that boosted my self esteem, something that I could be proud of.

The first thing I ever made, a blanket for Megyn.
Another wonderful thing that happened this year, was the addition of our puppy, Vader. He may not be the smartest, bravest, or best behaved dog, but he's ours and we love him. Coming home to him to see that tail wagging and his eyes light up is a wonderful feeling. His favorite time of day is when I let him out of his "big boy room" (cage) in the morning and when he cuddles with Leigh at night. So yes, he bites his own tail and wonders why it hurts, and yes, he's scared of our 7 pound kitten, and yes, he chews things up and gets into things, but he's adorable, lovable, and just wants to love us back. What more can you ask from a dog?
Vader, the day we got him.
Perhaps the best thing this year, that won't actually happen until next year, is our planning for a baby. My entire life, I have only ever wanted one thing: to be a mommy. I couldn't wait for the day I would find out I was pregnant. Couldn't wait for the day I heard his or her little heartbeat. Couldn't wait for the day I brought him or her into the world. And couldn't wait for every single day afterwards. I have been waiting for those moments for my entire life, and now, FINALLY, at 24, it's going to happen. I feel like I have been waiting forever, but I guess it doesn't matter just how long you wait, the end result is the same. A beautiful, healthy, happy, new life. We decided to start trying soon because my internal clock has been ticking for about 5 years now, and is starting to sound like Big Ben. When we first got together, it wasn't the right time because we both had crappy jobs, lived in a crappy apartment, and had just started the relationship. I realize people have had babies in worse situations, but when you can literally plan to have a baby, you want to make the circumstances a little better before trying. It's a double edged sword. On one side, it's great that we can wait and plan when is the best time to have a baby, no accidental pregnancies. But on the other, I would love nothing more in the world than to wake up one morning, turn to Leigh and say "I'm pregnant" and know that it was a product of our love, something we made together, something that was a part of each of us, something that was special. I hate that we can't do that, but now that we have moved from the crappy apartment and are more stable in everything, it's nice that we can plan it, instead of an accidental "oops" when we were in worse shape. So, needless to say, though I just said a bunch, I am excited to start trying in the coming year and I hope and wish and pray and dream every day that it is an easy process, that it doesn't take too long, and that by this time next year we will be celebrating baby's first Christmas.

Well, it's time to get ready for my day. It's Christmas tradition that on Christmas Eve night, we go over to my Aunt and Uncle's for a big family dinner and white elephant gift exchange. I love this tradition so much because I don't get to see my extended family as often as I would like to, and when they're all together, it's so much fun! Then we're coming home and going to bed so that we're asleep when Santa comes! Tomorrow will be Leigh and I exchanging gifts, then going to my parents' house for the family Christmas, then over to Leigh's parents' place for Christmas with them, and then over to Leigh's Aunt and Uncle's for their extended family Christmas dinner. It will be a busy, busy day, but hopefully full of fun, laughs, family, and happiness!

So have a wonderful time with your family and friends, and remember to be thankful for what you have, knowing that many others would give their right arm for a family, friends, holiday feast, and a good time like you will be having. Happy Christmas!
Our beautiful blue and silver Christmas tree with
"A Christmas Story" playing in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment