Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The story of how we fell in love...

I am going to try to be more active on my blog, because I know that later on, it will be something I can look back on and be able to enjoy. So with that said, I'm going to tell you all about how Leigh and I met, and became the awesome married couple that we are now. Be prepared, it is a very, very long story.
 
In the Summer of 2005, I had just graduated high school. My Summer consisted of working at IHOP as a hostess, and hanging out with my friends, before we all went of to separate colleges and towns, and were not able to hang out as often anymore. One day I was with my friend Sarah at her house (where I spent 90% of my teenage life) and she said that our friend Gina and her girlfriend wanted to go to this city called Ferndale in Michigan. We said sure, it sounds awesome, and the next day a big blue truck pulled up in front of Sarah's house. When we walked outside to greet Gina and un-named girlfriend, I was almost stopped in my tracks when I saw a butch woman stepping out of her truck. Thus enters Leigh. 

She had an infectious smile, with gorgeous dimples, short hair, plaid shorts, and small tits, which were the first things I noticed about her. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life, and it took me a few minutes after the introductions to stop staring at her. And it seemed as though it was mutual, because she had nothing but smiles and bright eyes for me. We all got into her truck, Sarah and I in the backseat, and drove an hour to Ferndale. The entire trip all I could do was stare at her. I was barely aware of conversation, road-games that we played, and the music playing in the background. Surely this is what love-at-first-sight is. 

When we got to Ferndale, there was plenty to do. It is a very small city, just outside of Detroit, and is basically like a gay headquarters. Almost every store down the cobblestone street was either gay-friendly, or run by gay people, with giant rainbow flags everywhere. There were shops with costumes, some with books and movies, others with novelty items. When we walked into one shop called "Just 4 Us" they had shot glasses with gay sayings and pictures on them. I picked up one to look at it, and Leigh walked past me to look at something else, and playfully smacked my butt. I, of course, blushed and walked away, with the shot glass I had been holding at the time still in my hand. I ended up purchasing that glass, which was clear with a rainbow flag on it, as a memento of that moment. We continued on, traveling the city, and discovered an Old Navy outlet store. While browsing through the racks of discounted clothing, I found a polo that I thought would be perfect for Leigh, and bought it. She loved it, and as far as I know, kept it and wore it until it wore out.
Ferndale, Mi. "Just 4 Us" Store.
It was time to travel home, and on the way, we listened to the newest Black Eyed Peas album, which included the song "My Humps." Everyone in the truck loved this song, and it happened to be repeated many times. I decided to sit behind Leigh on the way home, and was informed later that Leigh (being the driver) had shifted the rear-view mirror so that she could see me in it. What a cheesy, yet adorable, move. When we finally got home, and Leigh and Gina had left, I was swooning. I had to know this girl, I had to be friends with her. Even if I couldn't be hers, I had to at least be in her life. Surely the World wasn't cruel enough to introduce this beautiful, amazing woman into my life, just to remove her from it after only one day.

Later that Summer, the four of us decided to get together again, to go to the drive-in movie theater just outside of Toledo. Once again, that big blue truck pulled up in front of Sarah's house, and my heart started pounding. My mind said "Why are you so excited? She's someone else's girlfriend!" but my heart had a mind of it's own that told me "This is the most beautiful woman you've ever seen, she's funny, interesting, and you need to know her." We all piled into the truck, and since back then we were poor and young stupid kids, right before we got to the drive-in, we pulled into a Wal-Mart parking lot. Gina and Sarah went in to get snacks for the movies, while Leigh and I stayed outside talking. When they returned, we decided that only Sarah and Gina would pay for the movie, that Leigh and I would crawl into the truck's bed under the bed cover, to avoid paying for ourselves. It was dark, cramped, we were very close together, and my head was spinning for the short drive to the theater.

Once we got there, we climbed out of the back, removed the bed cover, and set up for watching the movies. Leigh and Gina would lay on top of the cab, while Sarah and I sat in the truck bed. The first movie was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp, and even though I loved the movie, Leigh was apparently bored with it. She would eat a piece of candy or chocolate, and then toss the wrapper down my shirt, into my cleavage. In the break between the two movies showing, Sarah and Gina once again went off together, this time to the concession stand to get food and drinks. Leigh and I talked, and flirted, the entire time they were gone. By the time they got back, my face had to be 14 different shades of red, but luckily it was dark, and no one knew the difference. The second movie was The Dukes of Hazzard, and once again, wrappers were finding their way down my shirt. The ride home was a sad one, knowing that I was leaving for college and would probably not see her for a while.

Weeks later and I went to college at Bowling Green State University, and lived on campus in the dorms. I had joined the marching band, and was constantly on the field or in classes, because I had also loaded myself with 22 credit hours for the first semester. Leigh and I had been talking on and off through MySpace, and one day she told me that she and Gina had broken up. She and her friend Chet decided to come pay me a visit at BG one weekend, picked me up, this time in her red Neon, and we went to the store, and then on to her house. She had just left college, and was living in her parents' basement until she was able to move out on her own. We went to her basement/bedroom, and started to watch the movie "Bound" with Jennifer Tilly. Knowing that Leigh was now single was making my head spin. I had only ever dated men, I had only ever truly wanted men. I was bisexual, yes, but purely in the attractive/sexual level. I found women to be beautiful, sexy creatures-I never thought I would end up dating or married to a woman.

Chet went outside to have a cigarette, and as hard as I try, I can't remember who made the first move, but before the door had shut behind him, Leigh and I were kissing. It was different than any other person I had ever kissed before. It was softer, but with more force, it was gentle, but with more fire. It was mind-blowing, and at that moment, all I wanted to do for the rest of my life was kiss her. Chet continued to go outside for smoke breaks for about 95% of the night, probably at some encouragement from Leigh, but that was fine with me. I saw maybe 3 minutes of the movie the entire time it played. They took me back to the dorm later that night, and the following day Leigh came over. We cuddled, and kissed, and made-out as teenagers do, but I was still unsure of myself. I had never been with a woman before, and this woman was special, I didn't want to mess it up. We attempted to watch the Family Guy movie, but after 3 or 4 times of restarting it because we had missed so much, we gave up and just crawled into bed together, cuddled, and fell asleep. The next morning when I woke up next to her, I thought I was dreaming. Surely the most beautiful woman in the world was not in my bed, with her arms around me.

Due to marching band, and my course-load, I was so busy over the next two weeks that we didn't see each other again, but we did constantly text and talk online. One night, Halloween to be exact, I got a phone call from Leigh's phone, but it was not Leigh that spoke, it was Gina. She told me that Leigh had come back to her, they were back together, and that I was to stay away from both of them. She called me every rude name in the book, and broke my heart at the same time. That beautiful, sleeping angel I woke up next to two weeks ago, was not mine anymore, and it truly was a dream, because now I was living a nightmare. I didn't speak to Leigh for a long time after that. I threw myself into other relationships (all with men) who didn't compare to half of what Leigh meant to me. I slowly started getting worse grades, missing classes, forgetting homework, and by the end of the first semester, it was a serious possibility that I would lose my loans. In the end, it was too much, and my grades slipped past that magic number. I had a 3.48 at the end of my first year of college, but my loans required a 3.5 GPA, and dropped me, meaning I had no financial support to return to college next year.

I worked at Cedar Point that summer, and met a gorgeous woman named Jackie. She had blonde spiky/crazy hair, a tight athletic body, and I wanted her. But in wanting her, it brought back the pain of the beautiful woman with dimples I had and lost, and nothing ever became of Jackie and I. With no where else to go, I moved back home, got two jobs, and worked constantly. I had relationships here and there, and none of them were good for me. I moved in with my best friend from high school, who had also been my roommate in college, into a town-house in BG. I had missed the city, the people, and my friends. I got two jobs, and once again, worked constantly. One night I received a message from Leigh, saying that her and Gina were done, that she was so sorry she had ever gone back to her, but that Gina was so controlling and abusive she didn't think she had any other choice. We started talking again, and eventually, I decided to go to Leigh's birthday party. I brought my best friend/roommate Briana along with me, just to make sure that if my mind wasn't in control, and my heart took over, that she could get me out of there before I made a poor decision, like letting Leigh fully back into my life. We went to Hooters for her dinner, then back to Leigh and Chet's apartment for drinking. I couldn't take my eyes off of her the entire night. She had become a different person. New hair, new clothes, more self confidence, she was amazing. Whatever Gina had done to her, I cursed her name for it, because this woman standing in front of me was not the Leigh I fell head-over-heels in love with the first time I met her, it was an even better, stronger, more beautiful woman than before.

A few weeks later Leigh and I went to see a movie, "Dead Silence" in the theater. The movie seemed cheesy and dumb while watching it, but in hindsight that may be because I had Leigh sitting 2 inches from me. Once I got home (with no kiss goodnight) I was terrified, and ended up sleeping with my bedroom light on for weeks, thanks to that "cheesy and dumb" movie. We kept talking, but didn't see each other again for a while. At this point, I started dating someone from my past. Someone that fate kept pulling me to. Now, I consider this person my "Gina." Even though he was never physically or emotionally abusing, he was that one person that even though you know you are wrong for each other, you continue to go back to them. He lived in another state for most of the year, with weekend or week-long breaks now and then, but that was fine with me, because with any relationship where the person was close-by, I felt smothered. My friend was getting married, and without my boyfriend, I needed a date to the wedding. I called on my back-up, Leigh. She was more than happy, and dressed the part in a beautiful black button-down and slacks with a tie. We went out to eat, went to the wedding and reception, and had a great time. Once again, my heart flickered where my mind gave warning, and once again, I was dropped off at home, after an uneventful evening. 

Leigh and I at the Wedding Reception.

A week later, the roommate situation ended, abruptly, and I was forced to move back in with my parents. I got a new job, and a few weeks later, discovered something else, my period was late, but with all the commotion of moving, not having said boyfriend here, and getting a new job, I hadn't realized it. On the way home from work that night, I stopped at Wal-Mart, and got a pregnancy test. I couldn't even wait until I got home, and went into the bathroom at the store. Positive. I took a second one. Positive. I was in shock driving home, and going up to my room, I don't even remember the next day. I do remember the following day, however. I texted my boyfriend, and told him I was pregnant, that I had taken two tests, and they were both positive. He said "Well you could just get rid of it." Now, the reason I tell you all of this, is because all my life, I have only ever wanted to be a mother. Even if I didn't necessarily want to be pregnant at that moment, or with that guy, it was still my baby. Two weeks later, he came up for a weekend, and we went to a baseball game, the Indians vs. Tigers. He placed his hand on my stomach, he held me and called me "Momma" and I was sure that he had changed his mind and wanted this baby as much as I did. Unfortunately, the following week (I had not been to a doctors appointment yet, so I am guessing I was around 5-7 weeks along) I started having terrible cramps, horrible nausea, and when I went to the bathroom, discovered I had bled a lot. I went to the ER where they did an ultrasound, and confirmed exactly what I had feared, I had lost my baby. However, since it was never medically confirmed that I was pregnant, they simply said "You aren't pregnant." and didn't call it a miscarriage. I was crushed, and the only thing I could think of was my boyfriend saying "Well you could just get rid of it." That ended that relationship, and I've never looked back.

I was invited, once again, to Leigh's birthday party. This time it was at a bar, and even though she was single, and I was single, I was still not sure of getting back into a relationship so soon, and with her. So I took a friend with me to the bar, and had an excellent time. Leigh and I danced together, talked, and just enjoyed each other's company. I felt bad for the rest of the people that turned out to celebrate her birthday, because I hogged her to myself the entire night. When I was leaving, I walked up to her, said "Happy Birthday, honey" and kissed her. Fireworks went off, the skies cleared, and once again, that feeling of "I must be dreaming to be this lucky" went through my body.
Leigh and I at her birthday party.
Right about this time I started having blinding, debilitating migraines. And not the normal kind that put you in bed for the day, but very short 5-10 second bursts of extreme pain (literally the worst pain I have ever felt) dizziness, and nausea, that would leave me with an intense headache/migraine for the rest of the day. Once, I was walking down the stairs when one hit, and I fell the rest of the way because the pain was so intense, it blinded me, and I lost my footing. After having at least 3-4 of these per week, I decided it was time to see a doctor. I went in, she asked a lot of questions, but without testing she couldn't figure out what it was. She wanted a full range of tests, because she was worried about the chance of a brain aneurysm. Now, being 21 years old, those are scary fucking words. I went home, looked up all the information I could, and became even more scared. If it was a brain aneurysm, I could literally just drop dead one day, it could explode, causing my brain to stroke out essentially, and kill me instantly. I had just lost my baby, my boyfriend, and now had something severely wrong with me that could possibly be life-threatening. And in this moment, when I needed someone to be strong for me, Leigh stepped up. We talked constantly via text, instant messenger, or emails, and I never went more than an hour without hearing from her.

When it came time for my tests, Leigh volunteered to come with me. She had just had knee surgery, so she shouldn't have been up and about, but as she told me, "No one deserves to go through this alone. You should have someone with you, and that someone is going to be me." And so it was settled. The next morning she came with me and my mother, to go to the hospital for my tests. While waiting, my father came to be with me as well. We walked back and forth many times through the hospital, all on her bad knee, just to hold my hand and make sure that I knew everything would be okay. She hugged me after a painful test, and helped me to laugh before a scary one. She stood right by my side that whole day, even though she was nothing more than an occasional friend. My mind gave up the fight, and I fell in love with her. Completely, head over heels, both feet jumping in at the same time, in love. After my tests we went back to my house and watched "Mulan" while cuddling. She held me and assured me that they'd let me know soon, and that it would all be okay. To get my mind off of it, she suggested we go out that night. It was a Wednesday, so the only place we could think of was Goth-Night at Sky Bar in BG. We started to get ready to go, and then her friend Scooter came and picked us up to go with us.
Before going to Sky Bar for Goth Night.
That night we danced, drank, and had a great time. It was as if we had never stopped dating 4 years ago, it was as if we had been together, known each other all of our lives. I felt more connected to her standing there on the dance floor looking in her eyes than I've ever felt with another person in my entire life. Eventually, the night started to slow down, and we were going to leave. I knew she wanted to ask me out, but she was such a shy and unsure person, she never would have gotten the courage. When she went to the bathroom before leaving, I texted her "So are you going to ask me out, or what?" and sure enough, when she came out of the bathroom, she swooped me into her arms and said "Do you wanna be my girlfriend?" and as an answer, I threw my arms around her and kissed her. I think she understood that it meant "yes." We went and got something to eat at a little diner right next door, and then left. They dropped me off at my place, and I slept better than I had in years.

At the diner after the bar, 04-08-09
From that moment on, we were inseparable. I mostly spent all of my time either at her apartment, or at work. And even while I was at work, I was texting her, and calling her on my breaks. Only a few days into our relationship, her friend was house-sitting for a friend, and invited us over for some drinking and hanging out. We drove up there, listening to music, eating McDonalds, and then once there, played drinking games, sang, danced, went to a hole-in-the-wall bar, and eventually went back to the house to crash. Leigh and I took the basement, and curled up on two couches pushed together, while watching the movie "Bound." Needless to say, I still only saw a few minutes of the movie before we were too enraptured with each other to pay attention. She held me the entire night, and I had never felt safer, or happier in my life. 

The night we house-sat with her friend. My favorite picture of us.
The following week, we went back to my doctor to receive the results of all of my tests. I was told that it was not a brain aneurysm, it was something called "chronic migraines." Meaning that these migraines, these debilitating headaches, this extreme pain, this was something I would have to deal with for the rest of my life. They are brought on by stress, which is why they surfaced during the time where I had been thrown out of my apartment and moved in with my parents, got a new job, got pregnant, lost the baby, and broke up with my boyfriend. Now, I am better at controlling my stress level and relaxation, but they are still something I suffer from on a weekly basis. The pain is so intense that nothing, not even narcotics like Vicodin, help. And in hearing this news, Leigh was right there, holding my hand, telling me that we'd figure out how to manage them. Once again, my heart knew she was the one for me.

After a week of dating, we were saying "I love you" which is very, very fast for others, but after having known her for 4 years at this point, and having loved her from the first moment I saw her dimples, it seemed a long time coming. By two weeks of dating I had pretty much moved in with her, I had all of my necessary items at her apartment, and later that month brought what was left. Three months into dating, she arranged a special dinner at Spaghetti Warehouse. She had beautiful flowers, and a hand-decorated cake. My parents and sister, her parents, they were all there. I went to open the cake box for dessert, and it was amazing. Multiple layered, covered in white icing and hand-piped decorations. As I looked closer I noticed the decorations were words, things that meant stuff to us, like "My Humps" which had become our song after that special Ferndale trip. On the top was written "Surprise!" and I looked over at my beautiful girlfriend to say "Surprise, what?" and watched her drop to one knee, and present me with a silver heart-shaped metal ring box engraved with a "J" with a gorgeous ring inside. I barely choked out an "Of course!" before I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her. It was one of the happiest moments of my life, and the rest, as they say, is history.

The proposal. (darn cake box getting in the way)
I hope you enjoyed my little stroll down memory lane. I know it was long, but when you have to capture your memories of someone you love this much, you want to include every detail. One day when I'm old and senile, maybe I can look back and this and remember how it came to be that we fell in love. <3

We did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment